Hygiene in the kitchen may seem like a banal issue, unimportant, but the correct handling of food when cooking can avoid serious health consequences. Not having proper hygienic guidelines, such as washing your hands, washing the utensils to be used, not cleaning the kitchen, when preparing food can cause more than 200 serious diseases such as gastroenteritis, diarrhea and even cancer.
The kitchen is the second wettest place in the home, after the bath, therefore, it is conducive to the accumulation of bacteria.
That is why we must follow these four rules, which no matter how obvious they may seem, we often forget, and thus avoid the consequences that may result from their non-implementation:
- Clean absolutely everything: before preparing to cook it is important that you clean all the instruments you are going to use, including your own hands, since there are bacteria that you may have accumulated during the day. It is also important to clean the surface where food will be handled, to avoid being infected with any bacteria present there.
- Separation of food: it is important not to gather foods that are raw with those already cooked, and use different utensils for handling each one, to avoid passing microorganisms from one ingredient to another.
- Wash food: before cooking any food, you must sanitize it, even if it is fresh, that does not mean it is clean.
- Cooking: the correct cooking of food eliminates the risk that they can become contaminated.
- What you do not eat, put it in the fridge: if after cooking something you decided not to eat it, do not leave it at room temperature, it must be placed in the refrigerator before two hours of cooking. If the food is frozen, it is best to defrost it in the microwave and not at room temperature, as it can become infected with bacteria present in the air. After defrosting it must be consumed, it cannot be frozen again. It is also important to keep both appliances in optimal cleaning conditions, both the refrigerator and the microwave.
- The garbage section: it is there where the most germs accumulate, that is why it is recommended to change the bag daily, so it is not full.
Why do you have to be careful with food? Remember that the kitchen is the second wettest place in the home, after the bath, therefore, it is conducive to the accumulation of bacteria, so it is important that hygiene is so strict in this area. All are small rules that can be done without any problem, but that could avoid a bigger problem in the future.