How to Remove Fluorescent Light Cover – Fluorescent lamps come in a wide range of styles and types and provide many years of operation without the need for maintenance. The time will come when you need to have access to the internal mechanisms of the appliance if you have to change the tubes of the luminaire or install a new ballast or plug. Knowing how to properly remove the lamp cover will ensure that it does not break. While fluorescent lamps are typically inexpensive, replacing a broken cover can often be costly.
Lightweight fluorescent accessories above the head are covered by a diffuser to reduce glare. This cover must be removed before changing the bulb or installing a new ballast. The most difficult part of removing a fluorescent light cover is simply reaching the device, especially if you work in a commercial building with high ceilings. Use a solid ladder and have someone to sign you if necessary.
Changing standard incandescent light is, of course, one of the simplest things to do, and switching to a fluorescent light bulb is even easier. However, you may find yourself in doubt when it comes to changing a long, tubular blooming bulb. It is not so obvious how the lamp is removed from the nozzle and it can be difficult to tinker with the tube while standing on a ladder. To learn How to Remove Fluorescent Light Cover with minimal problems, see the guide below.
How to Remove Fluorescent Light Cover
How to remove the wrap around the cover of a fluorescent lamp
- Place your thumbs on the bottom of the cover and your fingers on the top, inside edge of the cover.
- Push the cover up with your thumbs and pull your fingers towards you to lift the edge of the cover up and over the edge of the accessory. You may have to do this a couple of times along the length of the cover before the whole is free. Once the whole is free, the lid hangs on the other side.
- Lift the lens cover off the edge on the other side of the lamp to remove it completely.
How to remove the cover of a fluorescent lamp with a capped end
- Loosen and remove the locknut from the end of one of the covers with pliers.
- Hold the cover with one hand and remove the cap from the end of the other hand.
- Slide the fluorescent cover of the light outwards under the end cap and it will release.
How to remove the cover of a circular fluorescent lamp
- Place your fingers along the outer edge of the fluorescent lamp cover.
- Turn the lid to the left until it becomes free.
- Lower your hands and the lid should come out in your hands.
How to remove a fluorescent lamp cover framed or with tabs
- Press the two metal tabs down using pliers or a screwdriver.
- Pull the cover down on the side with the tabs and it will be released but still be hung from the other side.
- Slide the side of the cover with the slot of the longer corner towards you. This frees the tooth from the corner. Once one corner teeth are free, remove the other side to remove the lid.