How to Make Garden Beds Raised – Gardening enthusiasts know the right soil value for a good growth of their potted plants. But what if you have poor soil that does not meet the growth of your plant. You may consider building a raised bed garden that will allow you to use the right soil combination in a confined space to ensure proper conditions for the growth of the plants.
For many people, the first thing that comes to mind, is what is a raised bed garden? A raised bed garden is a manually raised portion of the garden, which is used as a gardening bed to help the plants grow better. The basic purpose of the bed is very simple, to help weak plants thrive.
The procedure for making the raised bed garden is extremely simple and straightforward. Here, we will be telling you how to build a raised bed garden in easy-to-follow steps along with the necessary materials. In order to build a raised bed garden, we would be making a small enclosure, rectangular, on a foot high. It is to be filled with rich soil and organic matter.
Building a raised garden bed
If you are planning to build a raised bed garden, then I suggest you follow all these steps systematically in order to get very good results.
The basic requirements for building the garden bed are as follows.
- The basic building material that is used to make a raised bed is made of wood. To make the garden bed, I suggest you use synthetic wood or any strong wood brand. Just make sure the wood is durable enough, before building the raised bed garden. You will also need to cut the wood into the dimensions you want.
- Remember that the height of the bed should be about one foot.
- Nails and screws of uniform sizes.
- General garden tools and gardening accessories, especially hammers and screwdrivers.
- Compost and soil. It is best to have naturally made or homemade composite.
- Seeds of plants and ravines.
- Shovel and rakes.
- 4 anchor joints.
- Measuring tapes.
- Step 1: In this procedure, are basically going to make a rectangular box, so it is necessary to have a small plan, made beforehand, before starting the actual procedure. In the planning stage, you also need to look for a place, which has sufficient sunlight exposure.
- Step 2: Once you have finished planning, you can start building the raised bed garden. Many botanical professionals and gardeners prefer to improvise the base of the raised bed by removing the grass and then spreading a small amount of gravel on the ground. After the thin layer of gravel is made, it is necessary to make measurements and markings, according to your plan. Mark the four corners of the rectangle by taking measurements. Place the anchor joints in the ground and correct them properly.
- Step 3: In this step, we are going to fix the wood to the anchor joints. For this step, a saw may be necessary to cut the amount of excess length slightly into wood, so that the entire length of the wood fits properly into two anchor joints.
- Step 4: Once you have finished fixing the wooden boards, you need to reinforce the boards with the help of small pieces of metal bending and nails.
- Step 5: This step is very important as it involves filling the bed with the proper texture of soil and compost. To do this, you can also fill the bed with the soil gardening.
- Step 6: Mix the compost with the soil on the top and spread evenly over the bed. Make sure you do not fill the bed to the edge and leave a few inches of space.
Your raised bed garden is already ready and it is time to plant some plants in bed. I would recommend that you plant delicate greenery and plants in bed. This type of raised bed garden requires great care, to make sure that you water properly, every day, and remove unwanted grass and weeds from the box. Using the same procedure, you can also make an entire garden rose.
If you load the initial cost configuration, then raised beds require little maintenance beyond top soil mulching to control weed growth and moisture retention. If you plan to grow plants partially during the year, then just add fresh manure or manure to the top of the soil.
People Also Ask
- what do i need to build raised garden beds